Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thrown Away

Thrown Away

Those who uncover the meaning of life
Strong soaring spirits too soon does fade

In time few know the good they gave
Their life’s work just thrown away

If you remember, shout out without shame
Stop, listen, their voice speaks for us all

Treasure their good let their legacy live
As a beacon of truth to guide our way

I wrote this poem in response to Michael Glaser telling me this story:

He went to a school to present and found the books of his friend and former Poet Laureate Lucille Clifton in the library trashcan.  It deeply hurt him.  I’ve read some of her work and have heard about her life and because of Michael, her memory is alive in me.


I thought about it and feel there are many who are disregarded after having given so much.  People forget and the young just don’t know.  At CHS, I remember people like Mr. Sullivan who made all the Cougars hanging everywhere and Teddy Betts, whose classroom was such an inspiration to me.  The list goes on…

Read about Lucille Clifton. Lucille Clifton Biography

Listen to her poems. Audio & Podcasts

Watch Lucille. NewsHour Poetry Series

Michael Glaser speaks on Lucille.   Come Celebrate With Me

"writing is a way of continuing to hope…perhaps for me it is a way of remembering I am not alone." "I would like to be seen as a women whose roots go back to Africa, who tried to honor being human.  My inclination is to try to help."  -Lucille Clifton

No comments: